tup-meeth-bhaat aani batatya chi bhaaji...

Whenever you meet a person for the first time, whether small talk or out of curiosity, one of the first questions put forth is – So where are you from? Needless to say, I have been posed with this question a zillion times and I have answered it a zillion times, each time improvising my answer – well, improvising or complicating– highly debatable! Until recently, my answer’s been this: Born in New Delhi, brought up in 6 cities and 4 states; Parents from a 5th state altogether and one of my grandparents hailing from a 6th state! And .. yeah, there’s more.. the roots of my surname lie in a 7th state! People have their doubts whether to think I am a Maharashtrian, a gujarati, a delhi snob (though I’ve never spent more than 2 months in that place), a south Indian (for my undying love for curd rice until recently) or a Kokanasth (that’s where my roots lie!).
Well, until recently I considered myself to be an Indian (am still an Indian, no doubt).. but the reason I called myself an Indian was for the absence of the sense of belongingness. After having lived in so many states, I had become a Jack(or Jill :P) rather than a master. Mind you, I have loved every single aspect of travelling and living all over India, getting to know so many cultures, tasting a variety of food, making friends from different dialects and languages, in a nutshell – being a cosmopolitan.
But since the time I moved to Pune, 5.something years back, I realized this is where my heart lies.. after all, I am a Maharashtrian to the core! I love the language, I love the people (some sweet, some nice, some helpful, some arrogant.. love them all!), … and I cant believe I am saying this, but I simply love tup-meeth-bhaat-batatya chi bhaaji- waran….... heaven !!
Simple living, high thinking.. that’s the first thing you will notice here. The culture, the people, the food… everything has a simplicity to it .. pure and genuine.
Given a chance, I would love to explore every single city in the world – no doubt. But ultimately, home is where the heart is .. and I know where my heart is. J

4 comments:

  1. Hi Namita, U are so like me. Even I do face these problesm. Love your writing, you say most of the nothings I keep thinking about.

    Cheers to friendship was too good. Apt timing too. Read it when our group was witnessing those problems or practicalities of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh.. to ye blog quarterly publish hota he ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey nivedita! thanks a ton.. just thought of jotting down the thoughts.. glad the timing matched!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @sachin - kya karen.. kuch zyada hi aalsi hain..!! :D

    ReplyDelete